Advertisement of theresults of the referendum on 20 October 2012
With reference to the first paragraph of Article 10 of the Act on the Conduct of Referendums, No. 91/2010, the National Electoral Commission has informed the Ministry of the Interior of the results of the referendum on 20 October 2012 on the proposals by the Constitutional Council for a draft Constitutional Act and particular points relating to the proposals, which were declared at a meeting of the National Electoral Commission on 29 October 2012. No allegations of irregularity were received. After taking into account the rulings delivered by the commission on votes of disputed validity and the final reports from the constituency commissions, the results were as follows.
|Voters on the electoral register:||236,911|
|Valid votes cast:||114,570|
|including blank ballot papers:||661|
|including other disqualified ballots:
Valid votes were divided as follows in answer to the individual questions.
1. Do you wish the Constitution Council's proposals to form the basis of a new draft Constitution?
Yes, I wish the Constitution Council's proposals to form the basis of a new draft Constitution.
No, I do not wish the Constitution Council's proposals to form the basis of a new draft Constitution.
2. In the new Constitution, do you want natural resources that are not privately owned to be declared national property?
3. Would you like to see provisions in the new Constitution on an established (national) church in Iceland?
4. Would you like to see a provision in the new Constitution authorising the election of particular individuals to the Althingi more than is the case at present?
5. Would you like to see a provision in the new Constitution giving equal weight to votes cast in all parts of the country?
6. Would you like to see a provision in the new Constitution stating that a certain proportion of the electorate is able to demand that issues are put to a referendum?
This advertisement is published with reference to the second paragraph of Article 10 of the Act on the Conduct of Referendums, No. 91/2010.
Ministry of the Interior, 30 October 2012